Hoarse, four, mourning etc.

Thu Jul 1 08:15:51 UTC 2010

Does any dialect of American English have a rule which shifts
historical NORTH words to FORCE when a labial precedes?  This would
affect morning/mourning (and, possibly for/four), but also words like
pork and port.  This is a really old rule (late ME/Older Scots) in
Scots and Northern English dialects, where you get [o:] or [U@]
instead of [O:], in both rhotic and non-rhotic dialects.
I've heard Southern and AAVE [poUk~poU?] for pork anyway, but do you
get other cases of this?  And does it occur among New England white
speakers?

Paul Johnston