another eggcorn

Fri Jul 2 01:44:27 UTC 2010

I think the term druggy has an established sense that can encompass a
state of wooziness post-anesthesia. Anesthesia is, after all, a
drug-induced state.

Definition: druggy
Of or relating to drugs or drug use: "boozy, druggy confessions"
(Vincent Canby).
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/druggy

Movie Review: The Big Chill (1983)
September 23, 1983
SCREEN: 'THE BIG CHILL,' REUNION OF 60'S ACTIVISTS
By VINCENT CANBY

In the course of their weekend together in an extremely photogenic,
antebellum mansion outside Beaufort, S.C., the friends move from
depression to high spirits, to boozy, druggy confessions, accusations
and revelations of long-hidden disappointments.

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9507EEDD1E38F930A1575AC0A965948260

Here is a 1921 example with druggy-like instead of druggy.

1921 May, Cosmopolitan, Roulette by Fannie Hurst, Page 24, Volume LXX,
Number 5, International Magazine Company, New York.

He'd snuff it up. I found him twice on his bed after school. All
druggy-like—half sleeping and half laughing—the gang at school he was
in with—learned him—"

http://books.google.com/books?id=cwTnAAAAMAAJ&q=druggy#v=snippet&

(OED June 2010) druggy 1. b. Characteristic of, caused by, or given to
taking narcotic drugs. colloq.

1972  Village Voice (N.Y.)  1 June 76/2 He..pronounced, in an affable
druggy drawl, [etc.].

I am not saying that groggy can be directly substituted for druggy in
the cites above. In my lay opinion there is an established sense of
druggy that is flexible enough to include post-anesthesia grogginess.

Garson