sped = special ed

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 2 01:57:30 UTC 2010

My wife, Rene Mandel, writes in reply:

I don't know the history, but certainly Boston and the suburbs around it
have very active communities of parents of special education children.

There is also a history of education for children with special needs, most
notable, the Perkins School for the Blind in Watertown, which everyone knows
about from the Miracle Worker. But there are other schools, such as The
Learning Center for Deaf Children in Framingham, and others, that provide
excellent educations, and attract many families with children with special
needs to the state. Because of the cost of educating such children privately
(the requirements for education of special needs children is a vastly
underfunded federal mandate) public schools in the area have been forced to
provide better public school services for those children with less severe
needs simply to keep their budgets manageable.

m a m