Antedating of "Suck"

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 2 14:12:39 UTC 2010

The "reported fact" as posted in this thread was "b - e" -- lowercase "b",
space, hyphen, space, lowercase "e". That was all I had to go on, and it's
what I used.

Fortunately, gmail waits 30 days before emptying the trash, so I've been
able to retrieve Fred's post of June 27, free of >'s and ='s (though not of
a "!" + linebreak + space in "sometime", near the end):

================

A website at www.londonlives.org
 has a very interesting searchable corpus of manuscripts and printed
materials relating to "Crime, Poverty, and Social Policy in the Metropolis"
between 1690 and 1800.  Here is a citation for the verb "suck" in its sexual
sense, much before the 1928 first use in the Oxford English Dictionary (but
note 1891 citation in OED s.v. _cocksucker_):

1772 _Old Bailey Proceedings_ 9 Sept. (www.londonlives.org

)   John Gray < no role > . Crook was brought to our watch-house, in
Swan-yard, on Monday morning, by Dennis; Crook said that on the 3d of
September he left off work in the evening, about seven o'clock; went to the
Red Lion in Moorfields, to drink a pint of beer; that just as he had drunk
the beer, Gibson came in and sat down by him; that Gibson asked him to drink
with him; that when he called for another pint, he asked him if he knew Dick
that had lived there; said he, he had a fine - fit to do Mrs. - ; he said
after that, he went out at the door to make water, and Gibson followed him,
and said, what sort of a c - k have you got? Dick was just such another slim
young man as you; let me teel it; which he did; he said it was not so big as
his; that then he took him down to the vault, forced him down on the seat,
onbuttoned his breeches, then worked him till he made it come, and then
sucked it; that he worked it again s!
 ometime; that then he pressed him very close, called him his dear, hugged
him and squeezed him and sat down, put his hand behind him, and put it into
his b - e, and worked up and down till he hurt him vastly, and he believed
made him bleed.

m a m