Nothing to see, here: Different strokes

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Jul 6 12:52:27 UTC 2010

Wilson--

Here is the earliest that we have in the "modern provrbs" file:

Different strokes for different folks.  1945  _Philadelphia Tribune_ 19 May:  “Yes, I realize that 'times have changed' and that, as a jitterbug friend told me the other day, 'one has different strokes for different folks.'"

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Wilson Gray [hwgray at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 4:58 AM

1966 [quoting boxer Cassius Clay] "I got DIFFERENT STROKES FOR
DIFFERENT FOLKS.”—Great Bend Daily Tribune (Kansas), 11 November, page
6

1967 [Soul Brothers Top 20] Different Folks Like Different Strokes:
                                                      Soul singer Syl
Johnson has something when he says
                                                      there are
"DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS."––JET Magazine. 9 November,
page 64

The title of the song quoted is simply, Different Strokes. The full
forrm occurs in the refrain.
--
-Wilson