Subject: cetacean sexism

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 6 18:18:03 UTC 2010

It's the first ex. of def. 2:

_1375_ BARBOUR *Bruce* III. 626 And thar schip thai lychtyt sone..And scho,
that swa wes maid lycht, Raykyt slidand throw the se.
FWIW (but not ITMA) OED has "he" applied to inanimate things from "a1200." I
don't see any refs. to ships, however.

Regarding whales, it may be superfluous to note that while whales have sex
(in both senses of the phrase), ships do not.

JL