Racial epithet makes news

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Wed Jul 7 16:08:13 UTC 2010

> header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Racial epithet makes news
>
> The inevitable subjectivity of discourse raises the question, "ameliorated
> for whom"?

And, of course also, "When?"

I first encountered the work by Agatha Christie when I saw it dramatised and
acted by the Citizens' Theatre Company in Glasgow in the early sixties.  At
that point, the title had been changed from _Ten Little Niggers_ to _Ten
Little Indians_, so I suppose it would be fair to say that then, in the
sixties in the UK, 10 Niggers was deemed offensive but 10 Indians wasn't
(yet).  Later, the further change was made to _And Then There Were None_.

(The ending of the play was also ameliorated for the boards -- in the novel,
all ten protagonists are Bad People and all die; in the play, the Male Lead
and the Female Lead turn out to be Innocent, and so survive.  Go figure.)

> Undoubtedly {Honest Indian!} would ameliorate the phrase for some people,
> but I suspect they would be in the minority of those initially offended.

Things do bother me about the phrase, "Honest Injun" (and I'd agree with
Charles Doyle that the particular spelling makes the phrase a distinct
separate lexical item), mostly because it seems to reek of stereotyping.
Actually, as a Brit, I'd (a) probably never use it -- my phrase-of-choice in
context would probably be, "Honest, guv" -- and (b) read it as implying
[all] Indians are honest [but dumb].

Also, both "Honest Injun" and "honest, guv" seem to my ear to imply a
somewhat disingenuous assertion of truthfulness.  Frankly, I wouldn't buy a
used car from someone who said that, so I'm not surprised that it's found
employed, apparently unironically, by a politician.

Robin

> OTOH, Norman Mailer got by with "fuggin',"

Father Jack, in the TV series "Father Ted", characteristically used the
(deliberately) transparent locution, "Feck off!"

RH