Racial epithet makes news

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Jul 8 18:01:03 UTC 2010

Erm.... As one of the folks at Random House who thought long
and hard about how to deal with these issues for HDAS, I must
respectfully disagree with this. Jon's post seems to imply
that RH pulled the "vulgar" label from HDAS, which is
distinctly not the case.

What we [i.e., I] objected to was the use of "_Vulgar._" as a
bare label on its own, with no modifying word, suggesting that
the word thus labelled was "vulgar" in all circumstances to
all audiences. So we decided that in (almost) all cases,
"vulgar" (and "offensive") were given modifiers, typically
"usu. [or "often"] considered". It wasn't about meaning;
"vulgar" and "offensive" meant different things, and these
were discussed in the frontmatter.

The "vulgar" label was never removed; is found throughout
HDAS, from the frontmatter onwards. Much more frequently than
"offensive", in fact--there are about 1450 examples of
"considered vulgar" in the published volumes of HDAS, against
fewer than 300 for "considered offensive".

I acknowledge the possibility that the "usu. considered"
language may have introduced problems of its own (at least one
prominent reviewer made of point of this); I still think it
was the right thing to do from a linguistic standpoint,
although it may indeed cause confusion for some users.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED