"lead-pipe cinch" (antedating to 1888 July 29)

Sat Jul 10 11:48:24 UTC 2010

Thanks to Stephen Goranson for a great cite. He is another cite a
couple months earlier.

Cite: 1888 July 29, Boston Sunday Globe, Page 6, Column 2, Boston,
Massachusetts.  (NewspaperArchive)

They considered Lucky Baldwin's great filly Los Angeles a "lead pipe
cinch," and put their money on at any odds.

There is also a match in the Elkhart (Daily) Review dated 1887 January
02 in GenealogyBank. However, this is an incorrect date. The date of
the newspaper is really 1897 January 02. The article uses "pipe cinch"
instead of "lead-pipe cinch" so I have included it below:

Cite: 1897 January 02, The Elkhart (Daily) Review, Monkeys as Fly
Catchers, Page 1, Column 2, Elkhart, Indiana. (GenealogyBank)

"He only uses two fingers, but the fly is caught. It is a pipe cinch
that the monkeys catch nine out of ten flies they reach for and don't
seem to try to when they do it."--New Orleans Times-Democrat

Garson