Q: Possible 1727 "queen" = male homosexual?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 11 12:53:33 UTC 2010

Conceptually related, obviously, even an adumbration, but not an ex. of the
current use.  A nickname doesn't necessarily double as a common noun .
Cf.: During the 1920s, American college men often referred casually to
attractive women as "queens."  But Queen Latifah's (stage) name (decades
later rather than centuries earlier, as is Joel's ex.) doesn't exemplify the
slang term.

The homosexual sense of "queen" is also first clearly documented in the
1920s.

JL