rhythmic blends (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Jul 13 14:43:23 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Re: the origins of the Tony Curtis "Yonda lies the castle of my fadduh"
legend -- it predates the 1980s.

_Chicago Tribune_ Nov 1, 1970; pg. K46

". . . "Son of Ali Baba" . . .  the movie in which Tony Curtis of
Hollywood reverted to Bernard Schwartz of The Bronx, N. Y., by uttering
that classic line, "Yonder lies the castle of my fodda." "

LETTERS TO EDITOR _New York Times Dec 21, 1975; pg. 117

"Tony Curtis's classic remark to Piper Laurie, "Yonder da castle of me
fodder," was not in "The Prince Who Was a Thief."  It was in "The Son of
Ali Baba."

[next letter in sequence]
"For example, de castle of Tony Curtis's fodder lies yonduh in "The
Black Shield of Falworth (1955)."

_Chicago Tribune_ May 2, 1978; pg. 16 col 6
"Actor Tony Curtis doesn't mind being "a legend in his own time," but he
says at least two parts of the legend are false.  He says that in one of
his swashbuckler movies, he never uttered "Yonda lies da castle o' my
fodda" in his Bronx accent."

---------------
> --------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: rhythmic blends

> --------
>
> Nice work, Dave.
>
> JL
>
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Dave Wilton <dave at wilton.net> wrote:

> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET>
> > Subject:      Re: rhythmic blends

> > According to Wikipedia (and many other sites), in the 1952 _Son of
Ali

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Shield_of_Falworth#False_quotatio