misplaced faith in a lexicographer

Tue Jul 13 20:42:06 UTC 2010

  A Philadelphia paper, advertising a lost boy, says, among other articles of dress, he had on "a gig-top leather cap."
  Peter, look at the dictionary, and see what "a gig-top leather cap" means.
  Peter -- Shall I look at Walker or Johnson?
  Master -- Neither.  Take Webster.  He'll tell you, if any body.  He has all sorts of words.
  Peter -- He hain't got this though.  He's clear dumb-foundered there.  He can't keep pace with the Phelladelphers, tho' he is a Yankee.  Did you ever hear them talk about their "corn-cobs," their "hop-toads," ther "pis-ants," and their ---
  Master -- Fy! fy!  Peter -- you're getting out of your latitude.
  Peter -- So must any body that has any thing to do with the mixed-up lingo of the Southerners.
  [Peter offers an unhelpful explanation of "gig-top leather cap"; concludes:]  The Phelladelphers must bring on their own taters, if they want to have 'em dug.  Ta'nt none of my business to go there arter 'em.
  Master -- Well, Peter, you're dismissed.
New York Transcript, February 19, 1836, p. 2, col. 4

GAT

George A. Thompson