Assassination euphemisms

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 14 13:39:16 UTC 2010

  Drawing the hard line between an assassination and a contract hit is
something I am not prepared to do, but I probably should have put that
in as a caveat--the distinction certainly crossed my mind when I put
together my version of the list (hence the joke in the end).

The problem is that "a contract hit" may well be one of the euphemisms.
When the target is political or otherwise important, it's an
assassination. When the target is a bit player--e.g., someone who simply
offended a gang leader for some reason--it's just a hit. So another
"euphemism" would be "to take a contract out on" (or same words in a
different order). Another distinction may be that when a government
agency or wannabe government group orders or buys the action, it's an
assassination. When the contract or order is taken out by a criminal
organization, it is not. But this is a weak distinction--consider, for
example, some of the murders in the Godfather series, particularly
Godfather 3. The murder of a high-positioned cleric qualifies as an
assassination under the first definition above, but not the second,
because it depends on who ordered it. For example, the poisoning of a
Corleone ally may be an assassination (Vatican, after all, is a
"country"), but the retaliatory murder (with glasses) does not, because
it was ordered by criminals, not by someone within the Vatican
hierarchy. For this reason I am not advocating for this distinction,
even though I am putting it out as a possibility. A simpler approach
might be to claim that all contract killings are assassinations, but
that category is not exclusive either. A traditional government assassin
of spy novels is still an assassin, even though he may work under
orders, not under contract.

But, by far the most oblique of assassination euphemisms in the latter
context might be "make contact with" the target.

     VS-)