FW: Assassination euphemisms

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 14 16:59:40 UTC 2010

  Several early GB sources I checked, including Conde, identified "army
intelligence" as the source. Apocalypse Now uses a "civilian" that is
undoubtedly a CIA agent. I'll let you, guys, fight it out as to who
might have used it first and who merely borrowed it later.

But here's a bit more--likely the source of Gerald Cohen's story:

Green Berets .
St. Petersburg Times - Google News Archive - Aug 16, 1969
> Gregory asserted that officials in Washington were "telling bald-faced
> lies" in claiming that the slaying was carried out after the had
> revoked its original order to "terminate with extreme prejudice" the
> agent, meaning to kill him.

It's a little hard to tell who coined the phrase or even used it here,
as CIA initiated the kill order, but the instructions came through the
"Special Forces", and Gregory claimed he got it from an Army
intelligence officer. It's a little hard to figure out the context, as I
can't find the first part of the story from page 1-A, but, it seems, the
victim was a double agent (or, as Gregory tells it, "a double or triple
agent") who was killed and his body dumped into the South China Sea. In
fact, following at least two weeks of requests for instruction from the
CIA, the agent's execution was ordered, just a day before the word
finally came from CIA to "spare him".

     VS-)

PS: Another interesting bit from the same paper--one headline speaks of
"lie tests" in a story about the fire on QE liner. Within the text, the
identification is "lie detector test", but the headline is what jumps at
you.