Assassination euphemisms

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 15 01:15:59 UTC 2010

AHD3 defines "assassinate" as "to murder (a prominent person) by surprise
attack, as for political reasons". That satisfies me, assuming that the "as"
modifier is taken as example, not as restriction.

By the second definition that you cite, which refers to the originator of
the action, Lincoln was not assassinated, and it's a matter of ongoing
disagreement whether John F. Kennedy was. That seems to me a good argument
*against* that definition.

m a m