Prescriptivism and the cinema

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 15 20:42:38 UTC 2010

Yeah, but he still put the blame on her.

I heard a lot of prescriptivist statements in my impressionable years, but
I've never heard the one reported by Wilson.

In my day, maybe the worst thing you could do, short of writing "ain't" with
a straight face, was to use "contact" as a verb.  That taboo may have even
edged out, in severity, the controversial uses of "presently" and
"hopefully."
JL