Prescriptivism and the cinema

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 15 21:03:33 UTC 2010

Dunno... seems to be fairly standard part of speech taboo, just like
"impact". On the other hand, 1843 Cyclopedia clearly uses "blame" as a
transitive verb (even specifically says so). So, like "impact" the
proscription is bogus.

I could not find any specific recommendations on the subject, but I
did find one interesting suggestion that relates to "blame"
peripherally:

"...In your 'number of things' example, 'number' also takes a plural
verb. If you remove 'of things', the verb remains plural. "A number of
people are to blame." "A number are to blame." If you said 'a number
is to blame', I’d say, "That darn Four is at it again!" "

As usual, this is just a find, not an endorsement of the opinion.

VS-)