article on the name "America"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 15 21:04:23 UTC 2010

For def. 2 of "playboy," The latest OED offers  "A person, usually a wealthy
man, who leads a life of pleasure, *esp.* one who behaves irresponsibly or
is sexually promiscuous."

I pass over the question of whether a female can be a playboy. I believe the
two nuances should be split up into "irresponsible pleasure-seeker" and
"sexually promiscuous fellow."

(Actually, I don't think it's the literal sexual promiscuity that defines
the playboy, it's the number of women he dates.  There was a time, young
'uns, when the concepts were not absolutely and necessarily identical.)

Anyway, the reason for my niggling is that in 1960-61 I had a sixtyish
American history teacher, named Mr. Bowman, who frequently reproved us for
being "a bunch of playboys." If somebody launched a spitball, for example,
Bowman would cut him down as a "playboy."

This struck me as pathetic even at the time.  Because by 1960 everybody and
his brother knew that a "playboy" was defined exclusively by hot dates and
frenetic socializing with the opposite sex. The launcher of spitballs
and reader of comic books was not even in the same universe as the playboy.
(For proof, all you had to do was visit the newsstand.) To be called a
"playboy" was thus quite a compliment, albeit a contextually ridiculous
one.  Bowman never caught on to this.

In fact, by the time in college when I heard of Synge's _The Playboy of the
Western World_ I could hardly believe it was written in 1909.  Did they even
have "playboys" then?

So I think the def. should be refined and split up.

JL