"playboy" [Was: article on the name "America"]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jul 16 00:11:08 UTC 2010

At 7/15/2010 06:40 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>The pre-1920 "playboy" seems to have been primarily fun-loving (rather than
>"pleasure-seeking") and irresponsible, given (perhaps) to drinking,
>fighting, sporting, and whoring.

The latter 5 (starting with "irresponsible") are the playboy of
Synge.  In addition, he is a patricide -- or perhaps not -- he is
also an inveterate and glib (as are all Irishmen, at least as voiced
by Irish playwrights) liar.

P.S.  I find the play dates from 1907, not 1909.

Joel