query on poetic figure

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Fri Jul 16 05:05:02 UTC 2010

On Jul 15, 2010, at 9:15 PM, Neal Whitman wrote:

> The term I learned for this is hudibrastic rhyme.

well, that certainly wasn't the term i was trying to remember, because i didn't know it.  from what i can find on hudibrastic rhyme, it sometimes involves funny treatments of word divisions (and rhymes of unstressed with stressed syllables) but is primarily defined by its rhyme and metrical schemes.

> Tom Lehrer is a master at
> it. Some of my favorites are from just one song ("Smut"):...

yes, these are favorites of mine too, and were in the list of examples i was looking for a name for!

arnold