crash blossom of the morning

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 16 13:43:14 UTC 2010

Just walked past the USA Today dispenser and noticed this headline on
today's paper:

BP Caps Ruptured Well, But More Hurdles Ahead

My first thought was that I had watched the news last night and I
don't remember seeing anything about the caps rupturing.  Then I
realized "BP caps" wasn't the subject, "ruptured" wasn't the main
verb, and "well" wasn't an adverb.  (I suppose if I had thought about
it, it would have also occurred to me that it would be harder for a
cap to rupture well than for a knee, say, to break cleanly.)

LH