Peter Cook Quotation Query

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 16 13:54:58 UTC 2010

Wikiquote lists the following under Peter Cook:

    * You know, I go to the theatre to be entertained... I don’t want to see plays about rape, sodomy and drug addiction... I can get all that at home.
          o Caption to a cartoon drawn by Roger Law, published in The Observer (8 July 1962)

Can anyone help me to figure out whether the cartoon caption was the origin of the quotation, or whether it appeared earlier in the "Beyond the Fringe" revue?

Fred Shapiro
Editor
YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS (Yale University Press)