"Till Death Do They Part"?

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Sat Jul 17 03:38:43 UTC 2010

A relevant blog post from 2005, pasted in in its entirety:
http://literalminded.wordpress.com/2005/03/19/till-death-do-us-part/

Reading about the Terry Schiavo case, I got to thinking about the phrase
"till death do you part". It never made much sense to me as a kid. It was
years and years before I finally was able to undo the old-fashioned syntax
and morphology to arrive at a clear and sensible reading:

1. As is: "till death do you part"
2. Undo the reversal of verb and direct object: "till death do part you"
3. Turn the subjunctive do into indicative does: "till death does part you"
4. Replace the emphatic does part with the ordinary indicative: "till death
parts you"

Ah, much better! Until I was able to get from "till death do you part" to
"till death parts you", I kept trying to parse the phrase like this:

1. Instead of taking "till" to introduce an entire clause, taking it as a
preposition with "death" as its object, to form an adverbial prepositional
phrase.
2. Taking do you as a subject-auxiliary verb inversion, such as you might
have after negative adverbs, as in "Never have I been so insulted". (To
which the proper reply is, "That's because you don't get around enough!")

In other words, I was trying to read it as, "You part until death!" But that
didn't work because first of all, "till death" didn't contain a negation, so
it shouldn't trigger the do you subject-auxiliary inversion. Second, even
without the inversion, "You part until death" doesn't make sense because
part is a telic verb, but you need an atelic verb to go with the
"till/until" adverbial. That is, since "until X" refers to an interval of
time, you need a verb that refers to something that takes place over an
interval, not at a single point in time. The only way it could work would be
to imagine a continual sequence of parting, coming back together, and
parting again, until death puts an end to the cycle.

So for me, the unworkable semantics trumped the otherwise good syntactic
interpretation I put on the phrase, and I just had to wait until I knew
enough about the language to make the syntax match up with what I knew must
be the intended meaning. But it looks like there are others for whom the
syntax won out over the semantics. You wouldn't know it just by hearing them
say "till death do you part", because "you" is the same whether it's a
subject (in the nonsensical reading) or an object (in the intended but
harder-to-reconcile reading). But the covert reanalysis becomes overt when
"you" is replaced with "us" or "them", and you find "till death do we part"
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&q=%22till+death+do+we+part%22&btnG=Search)
and "till death do they part"
(http://www.google.com/search?q=%22till+death+do+they+part%22&btnG=Search&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s)
occurring along with "till death do us/them part".

As a linguist, I can understand it, but I don't have to like it. Why, if I
were a little more uptight, I might be asking myself, "How dare them!"