Another take on Jeep.

David Barnhart dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Sat Jul 17 14:55:17 UTC 2010

In the _Barnhart Dictionary of Etymology_ (c. 1988) the following appears
(I've truncated some of the already discussed speculations):

".probably coined from the initials _G.P._ . may have been influenced by the
name 'Eugene the Jeep' . It has also been claimed that the term is a
reduction of 'Jeepers creepers!' the exclamation of Major General George
Lynch, chief of infantry of the U.S. Army, on the occasion of his first ride
in the prototype of the vehicle at Fort Myer, Virginia in 1939, and adopted
at the time by Charles H. Payne, the designer of the vehicle."

My recollection of this latter speculation is based upon my father's telling
of the story that he received (perhaps in the late 1940's or -50's) a
Christmas card from the driver of the vehicle at that test in Fort Myer,
which relayed that "Lynch" story.   Incidentally, The term _jeep_ did not
appear in the 1944 edition of the _Dictionary of United States Army Terms_
(TM 20-205) for which Clarence Barnhart was the editor-in-chief.  CLB felt
strongly enough about the "Lynch" connection that is was the first etymology
given in the _World Book Dictionary_ (c. 1984, the earliest edition I have
at hand today).

More later as I find information on this.

Regards,

David

Barnhart at highlands.com