Whilst

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 17 15:38:53 UTC 2010

At 8:16 AM -0700 7/17/10, David Wake wrote:
>Listen to the way this guy from Alabama says "why".
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQdTgkY321s

Basically [hwa:].  I've read somewhere that speakers who pronounce
"why" with initial [hw]- in ordinary questions (and relative clauses)
don't do so for the corresponding discourse particle ("Why, yes!",
"Why of course not!").  No idea if it's true for a substantial group
of speakers, since I'm a conflater (except in second-instance
contexts, e.g. to indicate that I meant "whether", not "weather").

LH