another inanimate "she"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 17 17:57:14 UTC 2010

You (of course not you, Larry, "they") mean women can't "boss, play,
control," etc., cars, ships, etc.?  Depends what you mean by "can't" and
even "couldn't."

Even if the theory is historically correct  (and there's no way to
know, always a poor basis for action), there's no evidence at all that the
usage influences anybody's actions today or in the past.

The objection (and it's always stated in the form of an objection rather
than a historical description) seems founded on the unsubstantiated claim
that men are thoroughly obsessed with bossing women, even when they're
thinking of something else entirely.  (I doubt that, but that may just be my
masculine id talking.) And don't overlook the weird sexist assumption that
"men" (or an abstract "patriarchy") alone must be responsible for creating
and keeping alive this and similar usages.

Between inconsequentiality and lack of evidence, proscription of the
usage is nonsense. But as we know, 'til death do they part, nonsense
is often a factor in linguistic perception and change.

JL