OED. MW on "alienated," etc.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 17 19:55:21 UTC 2010

Maybe it's me, but I don't find that either of these dictionaries does an
adequate job on _alienated_,  _alienate_, _alienation_.

The usual, rather narrow, current sense (from the '60s at least) doesn't
seem covered. E.g., _alienation_:

MW : "a withdrawing or separation of a person or a person's affections from
an object or position of former attachment *:* estrangement."

OED:  "The action of estranging, or state of estrangement in feeling or
affection."

OED ventures the Marxist def. as well, which of course skirts the edges of
what is now often meant, but it doesn't quite get there.

Perhaps all that's necessary is a tweak (and some clear-cut cites); e.g.,
"esp. a sense of estrangement from or rejection of personal relationships or
social norms."

You get my drift.

JL