Quote: [Remark on death of Calvin Coolidge] How can they tell? (antedating Dorothy Parker 1936)

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 17 23:25:17 UTC 2010

While checking out some more facts on the subject, I came across
another comment, supposedly about Coolidge. The bio claimed that,
according to "a critic", Coolidge "could be silent in five languages".
The trouble is, an identical quip has been attributed variously for a
long time. Both the attribution and the target of the quip varied
widely and some appeared 40 years before Coolidge's presidency.
Attributions include Disraeli and Will Durant, while targets include
Von Moltke (1892--attributed to Disraeli and others), Bekker (1902)
and Baron Sidney Sonnino (1920), as well the Queen's Foreign Messenger
Service a.k.a. the King's/Queen's Messenger Corps (1898, attributed to
an anonymous Secretary of State). Disraeli's alleged remark about Von
Moltke appears to be the earliest of this bunch, although, by no means
guaranteed not to be apocryphal.

This was just a top-level quick search without getting into any
detail. I have not checked quotation collections or much else, so
there is plenty of room to dig.

VS-)