Quote: [Remark on death of Calvin Coolidge] How can they tell? (antedating Dorothy Parker 1936)

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sat Jul 17 23:27:26 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2010 19:09
Subject: Re: Quote: [Remark on death of Calvin Coolidge] How can they tell?
(antedating Dorothy Parker 1936)

>Antedate 1968
> This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly.  It should be >thrown with
> great force.

Bonnie Taylor-Blake and I took that one back to 1960.

http://message.snopes.com/showpost.php?p=1013420&postcount=14

My post showed a 1962 newpaper cite from Bennett Cerf attributing it to
Parker, and an unattributed one in a newpaper from 1960.

Bonnie allowed as how in that version it was " "It is not a book to be
lightly thrown aside..." rather than 'tossed.'

Sam Clements