Quote: [Remark on death of Calvin Coolidge] How can they tell? (antedating Dorothy Parker 1936)

Sat Jul 17 23:46:38 UTC 2010

Fred Shapiro
> Are you (or anyone else on this list) able to antedate any of the following first known occurrences for Parkerisms:
>
> antedate 1934:
> That woman speaks eighteen languages, and can't say no in any of them.

Excellent list of quotes. I will spend some time on it later. Here is
a start. The same joked phrased differently in 1931:

1931 September 8,
Chicago Daily Tribune
A Line O' Type Or Two
Page 12
Chicago, Illinois.
(ProQuest Historical Newspapers)

WINIFRED STACKVILLE STONER II, now
twenty-nine and who is reported in the public
press as having just left her third, was renowned
at the age of six, when she wrote a book, as a
child genius. And a few years later, with her
hair still in pigtails, it was proudly proclaimed that
Winifred could speak twelve languages. But
apparently Winifred never learned to say "No" in
any of them and hiked up to the altar as fast as
anybody suggested the idea.

(Errors during retyping are likely)

Garson