Republican Subterfuge [was Whilst]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 18 14:07:24 UTC 2010

As Sarah said after the 2008 election, "I'm like, OK, God, if there is an
open door for me somewhere, this is what I always pray, I'm like, don't let
me miss the open door. Show me where the open door is."

I never realized she was quite that near-sighted (it can hurt to hit a
wall), but the overriding linguistic issue is the use of _I'm like_ ("I say,
esp. to myself; I "go.")   As I posted some years ago, I first heard this
idiom about 1984 on Long Island, some sixteen years into collecting funny
expressions, four years at a large NYC university, and ten more at a large
Southern university.   A group of teenagers on the LIRR was using it
constantly. (And yes, I know all about "beatnik" interruptive _like_, etc.,
etc. I think somebody - maybe me - found an "I'm like" in a 1982-83  Valley
Girl book, but that's about the earliest.)

Point is, I never imagined I'd hear a serious Prez candidate, a mere quarter
of a century later, saying "I'm like" routinely and nobody really noticing.
(Does anyone else remember how Ike was derided for "nucular"? Or maybe it
was just my teacher.)

JL