commingle(d) = 'stuff to recycle'

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 19 02:41:06 UTC 2010

  I hope that's not entirely what's going on in Philadelphia. Most
Boston suburban towns have had recycling by type of recyclable since the
early 1990s. Sometime later (before 2000), many started gathering all
recyclables except newsprint and cardboard in a single bin, usually
labeled "Commingle" or "Commingles".  (But not all--some suburbs and, I
believe, Boston proper , still collect separately.) I've heard some
locals refer to the recyclables as "commingables". But paper/cardboard
are not a part of that, nor are non-can metals, liquids (motor oil,
battery acid), mercury-laden batteries, etc. It's basically a single bin
for glass, plastic, drink cans and food cans. Different locations have
different plastic collected--some go 1-4, others 1-6. This is quite
different from what they used to do, which was sort all plastic and
metal cans separately (aluminum separate from "tin"), and glass
separated by color. In Europe, glass is still separated by color.

     VS-)