"wh" words - was "no subject" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 19 03:18:14 UTC 2010

Whoa! Someone claims that _whoa_ [wou] is pronounced [hwou]?

Otherwise, I pronounce *all* of those words with [hw].

I'm fairly certain that the IPA considers "wh-" in spelling and [hw] in
pronunciation to be a voiceless /w/.

I'd also be willing to bet that one's local dialect has a strong influence
on what pronunciations one perceives to be "correct."

Till I had lived in Boston for a while, I would have bet money that no
native speaker of English could pronounce /r/ in the environment -th_V- in
any other manner except as, e.g. the sound spelled -VrrV- in Spanish.

After I had briefly been stationed at now-defunct Fort Devens, MA, my
impression was that New-England English must surely be one the
uglier-sounding dialects of American English, right up there with
New-Yorkese and Philadelphian, with nothing like the dulcet tones of
St.-Louisan and even Angeleno. However, over the years, I've developed a
somewhat more-reasoned, more-sensible attitude toward non-trans-Mississippic
varieties of English.

-Wilson

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Tom Zurinskas <truespel at hotmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "wh" words - was "no subject" (UNCLASSIFIED)

> I wonder.  Is the aspiration when saying "wh" as ~hw at the lips where the
> ~w is formed so the ~w is unvoiced, or at the back in the throat where ~h is
> formed?  If it's at the lips, that would make it an aspirated unvoiced ~w
> rather than a ~h followed by a ~w.
>

> Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL7+
> see truespel.com phonetic spelling

> > Sender: American Dialect Society
> > Poster: "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC"
> > Subject: Re: "wh" words - was "no subject" (UNCLASSIFIED)

> > Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> > Caveats: NONE
> >
> > I guess I'm in the minority, then, because I pronounce most of them with
> > a "hw" instead of a "w".

Wilson