Quote: the toast of two continents (antedating Dorothy Parker variant 1956 October 15)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 19 13:14:06 UTC 2010

FWIW, Parker must have known that Greenland isn't a continent. Besides,
being the toast of Australia, while not quite the same as Europe and North
America, would not be nearly as funny as Greenland, if Greenland were a
continent.

"Asia and Africa" is funny (or used to be) because of the default assumption
that they were inhabited entirely by lustful primitives, peasants, and
warlords.

Sounds to me like the G & A version is _faux_ Parker.

JL