"Base ball"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 19 13:33:10 UTC 2010

Poss. redundant to some, but of interest to others:

1850 _Northern Star and National Trades Journal_ (Leeds, Eng.) 1 [British
Newspapers 1600-1900]:  Grand Whitsuntide Chartist Holiday -- Excursion to
Gravesend and Kentish Demonstration...
[O]thers engaged in an exhilarating game of cricket, base ball, and other
recreations.
There are a good number of other hits (though none earlier). Later exx.
refer mostly (perh. exclusively) to the formal American game.

JL