"Base ball"- BAY-zuh-ball

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 19 20:06:45 UTC 2010

The word "baseball" reminds me of an incident.

I went to the ear doctor, and he ordered a hearing test.  The lady giving it had a heavy accent.  She said, "Say exactly what you hear."  Then she said,  "BAY-zuh-ball (~baezubaul)"  So I said "BAY-zuh-ball.  Then she said: "Foo-tuh-ball" (~fuetubaul).  And I said, "FOO-tuh-ball". And so on it went.

I came back to my wife laughing.  I hope she wasn't insulted.  She might think I was being a wise ass or not hearing incorrectly, or that I had a heavy accent myself.  We lolled.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling