"wh" words - was "no subject" (UNCLASSIFIED)

David Wake dwake at STANFORDALUMNI.ORG
Tue Jul 20 22:34:54 UTC 2010

Consider pairs such as "hue" vs. "you", which are distinguished by
most English-speakers.  Those with the distinction typically have
either a voiceless palatal approximant or a voiceless palatal
fricative in "hue", which is usually seen as the realization of an
underlying /hj/ sequence.

Pairs like "which" vs. "witch" are almost exactly analagous, except
that this time only a minority of English-speakers preserve the
distinction.  It still seems sensible to regard the voiceless
labiovelar approximant or fricative in "which" as the realization of
an underlying /hw/.

Another problem with using "wh" is that some Indian English speakers,
especially those who speak Marathi, actually produce a breathy-voiced
or aspirated /w/-like sound in such words, presumably as the result of
a spelling pronunciation.