Google and set theory [was: "loafs" (npl.)]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jul 21 13:14:14 UTC 2010

At 7/20/2010 11:57 PM, Mark Mandel wrote:
>All right, Google, how do you get 7- or 8-fold as many hits for the longer
>string than you get for the substring? I'm too tired to try following this
>through. Any ideas?

Not exactly the same as Mark's "longer string" vs. "substring", but
my intuition says perhaps they are related -- I have been mystified
why adding an exclusion (via "-<something>") has more than once given
me *more* hits.  Does anyone have an in to Google to ask ... and have
a chance of an answer?

Joel