Jon's 1901 "A Dictionary of everyday twentieth century slang" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 21 15:49:40 UTC 2010

HDAS has it, but Wilson takes it back a decade earlier.

Fact: evidence for details of AAVE before about 1965 is spotty because few
African Americans had access to the media, and those that did usu.
concentrated on SE. (Dan Burley was app. unique.)  If black cartoonists,
say, had been responsible for even 10% of America's comic strips, or black
satirists had been in the same proportion, I think the dating of many
features, incl. slang terms, would be pushed back considerably.

JL