Another suspect quote: Ira Hayes

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 22 00:07:51 UTC 2010

My university's ProQuest Boston Globe turns up nothing remotely like the
quote. In fact, the first time the Globe seems to hav mentioned Hayes at all
was in connection with a controversial TV drama called "The American" aired
in 1960 (with Lee Marvin as Ira Hayes).

Tony Curtis starred as Hayes in the 1962 film "The Outsider."

It is conceivable that the line came from one of these heavily fictionalized
dramas, but IMDb doesn't indicate it's in "The Outsider." It doesn't list
"The American."

My two cents is that the quote is too long and detailed to be included in
the script of a TV show in 1960.  My three cents is that it's too depressing
to have been reported in a newspaper in 1945 (coming from an Iwo Jima
flag-raiser) or, frankly, at any time before the Vietnam War.

JL