"capitalize on" = 'correct'? 'make up for'?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 22 02:43:03 UTC 2010

At 7/21/2010 03:48 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>Boston Red Sox outfielder after physical and mental errors
>contributed to their losing last night's game 5-4 to the Oakland A's:
>
>"The disappointment is we lost the game," Cameron said. "We had a
>chance to pick up some ground and we didn't. We've got to try to come
>back out and try to capitalize on some of the mistakes we made."

Reminds me of the radio reporter who said (after the steam pipe
explosion) that levels of asbestos in the air were
below acceptable levels.  Also said in Boston.  Are we sinking into a
black hole of semantic inversion up here?

Joel