semantic drift: squadron

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 22 18:20:58 UTC 2010

You're right, of course. And possibly armored vehicles.

What's clear, though, is that the writer seized on the first vaguely
relatedword that came to mind.

I suspect that many others are doing so as well. If not, not. Every
secondary and tertiary sense defined by the OED has a primary citation that
once may have seemed quite eccentric.

JL