semantic drift: squadron

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 23 01:34:15 UTC 2010

A minor point to mention is that these recent army and air force
applications are very specialized.  Whoever designated the Umptieth
Finance Squadron knew that several hundred foot soldiers are not normally
referred to as a "squadron."

The writer's use of "squadron" in the context of a movie is simply the wrong
word - technically and historically.  In a hundred years, it may be a
recognized synonym for "group of friends," for all I know.  (Cf., more or
less, the evolution of "posse.") Right or wrong, the point is it's new and
may be widening in currency.

JL