Bad Taste Breakthrough! PLUS New Phoneme! (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 23 12:55:20 UTC 2010

Sorry, I confused two renditions of the buzzer sound. /z/ is of course a
standard phoneme of English.

Eric, I would have a lot of trouble reproducing A 440, as would most people
who don't have perfect pitch. OTOH, a certain timbre, prolonged at B-flat
below middle C, is very well recognized now. I understand it has been banned
by several English soccer clubs... though I don't think they *can* ban vocal
imitations of the vuvuzela (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela)

m a m