"Acceptable" for a hazardous material

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 23 13:39:38 UTC 2010

Meaning reversal? Surely no word here is *generally* reversing its meaning
here, even in the reporter's idiolect. It's more like losing count of your
negatives, as in "No one can fail to doubt his sincerity" (to mean "Everyone
believes he's sincere"). Maybe call it "parity confusion": "above" vs.
"below", and "unacceptably high" vs. "unacceptably low", and the "un-"
prefix of "unacceptable".

ISTM that
 - "unacceptably high" is fairly common
 - as is "(above/below) acceptable levels", and "unacceptable levels [were
found]",  which don't specify a direction but are usually used in a context
where more is worse
 - but "unacceptably low" is less common, and "acceptably low" even less so.

m a m