"knock" vt. = 'copulate with' 1702 interdates OED

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 23 15:44:24 UTC 2010

At 10:43 AM -0400 7/23/10, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>At 7/23/2010 01:12 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>Interesting!
>
>The full definition for "knock, v." sense 2.d is "To copulate with;
>also, to make pregnant. So in phr. to knock a child (or an apple) out
>(of)."  [For "apple", the OED has 1818; for "child", 1922 Joyce.]
>
>A fun citation is "1604 MARSTON Malcontent III. iii. sig. E2v Haue
>beate my Shoomaker, knockt my Sempstres, cuckold my Pottecary, and
>vndone my Taylor."
>
>'Way down at 18.j is "To make (a woman) pregnant; (less commonly) to
>have sexual intercourse with (a woman). slang (orig. U.S.).
>     1813 C. EARLE Diary 12 Apr. in J. McPhee Pine Barrens (1971) ii.
>33 William Mick's widow arrived here in pursuit of J. Mick, who she
>says has knocked her up."
>
>Joel

Farmer & Henley provide a 1560 cite under their entry for KNOCK
'copulate', but it seems to illustrate if anything the related
substantival subentries (KNOCK (1) 'an act of coition' (2) 'the
penis':

1560 Nice Wanton [Dodsley] Goldlocks She must have knocks, Or else I
do her wrong.
1598 FLORIO, Worlde of Wordes, _cunnuta_, a woman nocked.

The F&H entry for the related (as they see it) NOCK (v.) (cf. "nok
her with his Prick" in the Maine cite below) provides, along with the
same Florio cite above, this much later one:

1775 ASH, Dict. NOCK, to perform the act of generation on a female.

LH