query: a cock and cock story

Charles C Rice cxr1086 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Mon Jul 26 15:59:19 UTC 2010

It's a standard of gender theory that Renaissance theories of gender saw
women as failed men. The uterus and ovaries were the same organ(s) as the
penis and testicles, but had failed to fall out due to a lack of heat
during development. A woman had to stay away from strenuous exercise or
her uterus would erupt as a penis.  See Greenblatt, Shakespearean
Negotiations, Chap 3.