another query about formulas/quotes

Mon Jul 26 16:32:40 UTC 2010

Arnold and Charlie: Thanks for sharing this. Below is a link to a
Google "snippet cite" that may be worth examining. The GB date is
1961, but the book has many editions under different publishers, e.g.,
a 1939 edition with Scribner's. In this variant of the modern proverb
"the man" is used instead of "you".

Cite: Circa 1961 (earlier edition 1939), "A First Book in Geography:
Man in nature: America Before the Days of the White Men" by Carl
Sauer, GB Page 80, Charles Scribner's Sons, New York. (Google Books
snippet view; Not verified on paper; Data may be inaccurate)

The Eskimo like the warm fur, and the meat and fat of the bear, and so
usually, the man gets the bear. But sometimes the bear gets the man.

http://books.google.com/books?id=lIHNAAAAMAAJ&q=%22bear+gets%22#search_anchor

The words may be in the 1961 edition and/or an earlier edition. The
1939 edition is apparently in the GB archive as a "no preview" book. I
would try to verify this cite on paper, but none of the nearby
libraries have it. Hope it is helpful to you and not misleading.

Garson