OT: Wall Street Journal discovers linguistic relativism

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 26 20:10:01 UTC 2010

  Russian lore has it that, when Peter I (the Great, if you wish) wanted
to modernize the Russian military training, essentially following the
"Prussian method", his drill sergeants tied bales of hay to one leg and
straw to the other, thereby commanding the raw recruits to turn toward
hay or straw. This anecdote (likely apocryphal) is often used as folk
etymology for the Russian proverbial "hay-straw" ([seno-soloma]) that is
used in the same sense as "six of one, half a dozen of the other".

     VS-)