hay-foot, straw-foot (antedating 1841)

Tue Jul 27 00:58:52 UTC 2010

OED (1989) has "hay-foot, straw-foot" with a first cite in 1851. Here
is a cite in 1841 and one in 1845.

1841 June 8, The Madisonian, "Poettical. From the Charleston Courier:
The Senatorial Departure, Or Democratic Escort", Page 1, Column 3,
Washington City, District of Columbia. (GenealogyBank)

I'm dreadful fear'd I can't walk strait'
Hay foot - straw foot – here we go

(The scan is very difficult to read so please double-check this
information if you plan to use it.)

1845 May 16, Jamestown Journal, "Rough Notes: Correspondence of the
Censor: Albany, May 8, 1845", Page 2, Column 3, New York.
(GenealogyBank)

The militia bill, provided it should pass the House, which is
doubtful, would stand no chance of getting through the Senate. So 'hay
foot, straw foot' must go it still longer.

Garson